Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Chinese New Year dancing

Holly was asked to participate in a Chinese New Year celebration at the local seniors' centre. She took a Chinese dance class during Spring Break last year and the teacher called to see if she would join her.

It turned out to be one of the strangest experiences we have had! Paul and I couldn't stop laughing. I have no idea what the audience thought. It was pretty obvious the girls had no training. The teacher was completely disorganized - I had asked if the kids were dancing and she was pretty vague - mentioning that they would just be behind her while she did the dancing. She was chewing gum the whole time, didn't have the music ready, and basically just told the 3 girls to copy what she did! They "performed" an umbrella dance, ribbon dance, fan dance, and a drum dance (but only the instructor had the little drums - the girls just made the motions with their hands).

We asked Holly if she had fun, and her answer was, "no".

If the teacher calls me again next year . . .    we are booked that evening!