Saturday, February 20, 2010

Olympic Outing

Today we went to a hockey game - my first of the Olympics. I had 8 tickets, so some of our friends came with us - myself, Holly, my mom, Jim, Laci, Marlene, Mimi & Jeff.

We wanted to take some pictures before going in, but Holly didn't want to be in them, she wanted to TAKE them! Here are Jim (from California), me and Laci. Paul didn't join us - he was working on the roof of our reno!















General Motors Place all decked out for the Olympics - with a (temporary) different name: Canada Hockey Place.



















Warming up for the game - Norway vs Switzerland.



















Uncle Jim being funny - his hands were too big for Holly's red mittens, so he put them on his ears!



















Mimi & Jeff.















Shortly into the game we got to see an attempted penalty shot! No, he didn't score.



















Just before the game ended, someone fell asleep. . . this is beceoming an Olympic habit!



















After the game, we went for a walk through Yaletown. We saw these guys at the game - now those are cowbells! You can't even ring them with one hand!



















Here is Holly telling Jim how he has to walk along the railing - with his hands UNDER the bar!



















Some of the condos along False Creek - showing off their national pride.



















Across the way, you could see the Athletes' Village.














I think this one might be the home of the Canadian atheletes . . . anyone agree?!



















This one caused a controversy - the IOC threatened to force the Aussies to remove their fighting Kangaroo! I think it's great!















Impromptu inukshuk building. . . I've seen these on the beach sometimes, but never this many - they stretched the whole way along False Creek. This is also the spot where the International Dragon Boat Festival is held. The inuksuks were so neat to see - I guess I had missed the news reports on this phenomenon, so it was a nice surprise.