Wednesday, February 17, 2010

CAN vs SWE

Today I went to my first Olympic event of the 2010 Winter Games! It was at Thunderbird Arena at UBC - it's been a while since I was here and it brought back some great memories of the 7 years I spent going to school there.














Paul isn't allowed to take time off during the Games, so my uncle came to the game with me instead - Paul's loss was his gain!














Our event was women's hockey - Canada vs Sweden.















The Swedes were over-matched and had to take a time out - unfortunately for them, they lost 13-1 (at one point it was 13-0!). We were expecting a tighter match because the Swedish team won the Silver medal in Torino in 2006, but it was fun to be in the crowd that was supporting the Canadian team - the atmosphere was great!














Even Donald Sutherland made an appearance at the game . . . my lens is not super strong, but you can just make him out standing up in the front row with his white hair - and sitting at the end of the row to the right is John Furlong, CEO of VANOC (the Vancouver Organizing Committee). Unfortunately, this is one of the sites I was hoping NOT to see - a bunch of empty seats in the IOC section - the rest of the arena was completely full.